Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cydex

[12/11/2013] Oh no... Another server switch!

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

I regret to inform you that I have to move the server (again) to another host because of several reasons of which some of you already know a few.
Under this line, you can find a couple of reasons:

• Apache (the software that actually serves this page to you) errors that I can not fix myself because I mainly Google for solutions which always worked (until now :-)
  • Unmanaged server: all issues that happen on the forum or on the underlying machine I have to fix myself which I can't do anymore (see first reason)
  • Unstable server: because the server we are on now runs the Windows Server OS and this OS often updates and restarts itself without prior notice, I have lost lots of files over the course of a year
  • Hosted in the US (not DMCA-proof)

These 4 reasons are mainly why I would like to switch from ISP again. Since 3 days I've been actively looking for the best deal for a managed hosting provider to keep the server rent as well as the overhead cost as low as possible. I finally found one and will be making the transfer somewhere within the next days.
It is possible that there will be thrown a few lag spikes, disconnects and error 404 pages your way but I will keep everyone updated through our Facebook-page.

Therefore, I would like to recommend that everyone follows that page so that you know what is going on in case this forum goes offline for a few hours.

We will be switching to a server in Romania where DMCA has less influence, my first choice was Sweden (where The Pirate Bay was hosted) but that plan couldn't go through as we don't have the funding for such location (it's way too expensive).

The server cost will remain the same every month and will not increase. I have made a point of this because I find that the server rent already is really high and we barely make it with the donations.

I also found out by looking at the visitor statistics that we have been losing lots of visitors due to the "Apache is functioning normally"-error. I had advertisers that were interested in putting their ads on this forum to support the funding of the server but lost them due to the visitor drop.
I figured that if we move towards a server that I do not have to manage the back-end from but only the forum that I have more time in making this community bigger and better than it already is.

The server switch is planned for somewhere in the coming week as at the end of this week my new bill for the current server is due. (Cancel and switch at the same time is efficient)

Hoping you bear with me during this week in my efforts in bringing this forum on to a fresh machine.

Kind regards,

Cydex

1 person likes this

Shame about the losses but I think that most understand that problems are not of our making.

I hope the new server works out!!

1 person likes this

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I just found you! *faints* :angry: I feels like biting someone >:D 

Don't worry, we will not disappear,

the site might be off line for a very short amount of time,

but when we are on the New Server we will still have the same web address,

Hopefully it will happen that fast that you will never know the server has been changed.

Edited by Stonegimp
1 person likes this

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I just found you! *faints* :angry: I feels like biting someone >:D 

Don't worry, we will not dissapear,

the site might be off line for a very short amount of time,

but when we are on the New Server we will still have the same web address,

Hopefully it will happen that fast that you will never know the server has been changed.

That is what I'm aiming for, I'm currently working on preparing the new server with our new webhost so when we switch, everything will be up and running without too much downtime and annoying errors :p

1 person likes this

We all appreciate your hard work... I just did my varsity research assignment on torrenting (Joys of being an I.T systems student) and had about 10 pages relating to the whole Pirate Bay Sweden thing :) 

Hello,

I finally finished up reconfiguring the website and adding a few features on the backend which compresses the website's content and then sends it to you so the latency and loading time is decreased a bit. On top of that, I changed the DNS records and implemented Cloudflare into the server which uses a "Content Distribution Network" across the globe that caches static files which will then be served to you to decrease loading times even more.

I hope this solves a lot of connection issues and lag that you might encounter or have encountered in the past.

The current server is located in Romania, EU which prevents the DMCA-law to issue legal takedown notices. Although I personally comply with any legal takedown notices, this makes sure there are no real consequences for the uploaders on this board or me. Previously, we were hosted in the US but because we aren't a big name in the torrent community yet, we always stayed under the radar.

While I was busy reconfiguring everything I also upgraded the forum software to the latest release version so any security issues that may have existed are now properly patched.

I would like to ask the community to report any issues or bugs you may find to me through PM or just reply here. I would also like to know if you encounter any errors or connection issues whilst visiting our forum.

Hoping you enjoy your stay here at Movie-HQ.com and always at your service!

Cydex

Well done, mate, thanks for your efforts...

(y)

No problem, also, check out the "Powered By" banners I've added to the right of the forum on the frontpage, it shows what we're running and also an uptime monitor to see how good or bad I'm doing as a server administrator :p